My introduction to flight

I like flight. Things that fly in general. Things that make things that fly, maybe. It's just really interesting, and it challenges the human. You're working on a 4 dimension level while hovering, with an up, down, left, and a right to control, but if you want to fly with an airplane you suddenly have 5. You go forward too (going backwards is dangerous, never do that at home kids). You can move one and the other might fall apart. You fix that and the other might be out of balance. It fun to mess with. Programming is something i also like because it relates to flight. You can mess around with a code, change a variable and something might fall apart. Fix that and 20 things are in distress. In order to keep the balance, you have to keep at it, and keep getting results.

I stumbled across a guy called RCPowers on youtube. He was just flying his radio controlled airplanes around. Whenever i watched his videos, i was amazed. Maybe because i was 10, or maybe it was because how he mentioned some of the things he went through to build that. I thought that flight was magical in the first place, but to be harnessed and tamed by a human being, down to a size where you can control in your backyard? Nothing short of witchcraft. I wanted to do that. I bought a plane. Sadly it never flew. Bad design i guess. So i dropped that and just watched his videos. The thing was, he kept building his own planes. He never bought them. He kept building them. I wanted to do that. I salvaged the parts from my broken old toy, and slapped them on pieces of foam. It flew!
for around 5-10 seconds. I never had full control on the flight. I bought another plane, then another, then another. I crashed them all, but i had an immense amount of flying. The last plane i bought was called the hobbyzone "champ" a couple years later. I flew it. It was my first airplane with more than two channels, and servos. I was analyzing the flight. I learned how planes flew on a close perspective. I learned flight, i read about flight every day. Flight was on my mind all the time. I dropped it after my champ broke.

I came across a channel called "flite test" on youtube a year or so back.

Well that propelled me into flight again. I had matured and grown up, i wasn't so irresponsible with my airplanes. I bought a kit so i could build an airplane and finally call it mine. I bought their kit, ordered the electronics, and a while later, voila. I had glued together the wings, made the horizontal/vertical stabilizers, and placed all the servos. I was getting ready to fly it. I took off the ground, and landed about a second later. Since i had close to no experience flying a "bank and yank" plane i was petrified that i was going to break it again. Well i flew it that day, and it went great. I decided to build my own airplane. It was going to be a glider that could stay in the air for a long time and fly without the need of a motor. The motor would just take it up, i would cut the throttle, and i would glide around. Well it went great until this happened
When i was trying to land it a gust of wind came in from behind it and the speed increased. It hit my leg, and the wing snapped in half.
I started to improve on the airplane from Flite test.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbyking Mini OSD - Modding a cheap OSD into a great and cheap OSD

It's working

Autonomously returning a glider from space? - Week 1